Solden transfer
Posted: 12 September 2011 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-02-22

Has anyone used the Otztal shuttle from Innsbruck airport to Solden?

I’m looking at travelling independently in January and there are only three scheduled bus services during the day - none of which, on the outbound trip, fit very well with the flights.

Any advice, or alternative suggestions for transfer (perhaps by rail?) would be appreciated. None of the tourist office websites etc are particularly helpful. Thank you.

Posted: 24 October 2011 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-15

Last March travelled from Munich to Obergurgl   Train via Innsbruch to Otztal Post bus to Obergurgl via Solden . There is a bus from Innsbruck airport to the railway station

Posted: 25 October 2011 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22

Many thanks; have now booked the Otztal shuttle in the hope the flight is on time. I have all the times of buses from the railway station and train times, just in case!

Posted: 24 July 2012 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-06-17

Andrew - Were there ever any replies to this?  I’m thinking of heading to Obergurgl/Hochgurgl in 2012/13 and would want to use the Oetztal shuttle.  Has anyone used the shuttle and if so, what was it like?

Posted: 24 July 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22

I went to Solden in March and used the Oztal shuttle for the return leg (we had to divert to Munich on the outbound journey so eventually used a rail/post bus combination to get there).

I travelled home on a Tuesday and the shuttle was effectively a private transfer - just me in a minibus - excellent value and efficient service. So I recommend it. (Skied in Obergrugl for two days and that was just about enough - lovely snow but a limited resort in many regards).

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2010-10-13

Andrew,

What about Solden? How did you find it? It always comes up on my list of places to try. My problem is the lack of direct scheduled flights to Innsbruck (from Dublin), which means longer transfers and has so far ruled out a lot of the Tirol resorts. I’m going to be a bit more flexible though, so I want to start looking at these.

Posted: 31 July 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22

Liked the skiing, less impressed by the town. Please see my resort review on the main site.

Posted: 31 July 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2010-10-13

Thanks Andrew - will do.

Posted: 02 August 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2011-10-09

Having been there four years before Andrew (though in the quiet part of January), I second his recommendation. In my opinion Sölden’s slopes are Austria’s answer to Val d’Isere (minus Tignes, unless you count Obergurgl - a bus ride away - as providing an equivalent): better for intermediates than hard-core experts’ St.Anton, and a less up-market resort than Lech.

The problem with piste grading starts, I think, with using too few numbers to distinguish easier and harder ways down the same side of the mountain. No.1 was my only way down from the Gaislachkogl top station, and red was indeed its correct colour: there was a black-worthy option half-way down, but that can be avoided.

If you like Sölden you should also like Ischgl, and vice versa.