Getting to Warth-Schroken, Arlberg, Austria
Posted: 01 January 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-10

Has anyone been skiing this year in Warth-Schroken in Arlberg, Austria?

I’m trying to work out the best airport to use.  I think Friedrichshafen is the nearest airport to Warth, but I can’t find any flights going there from the UK.  Am I right in thinking that all flights from the UK to Friedrichshafen have now stopped?

If that’s the case, what would be the next best airport?  Is it Memmingen in Germany (flying Ryanair from Stansted)? If so, does anyone know how long the drive is from Memmingen to Warth, and whether there’s a shuttle service or if you need to hire a car?

Many thanks.

Posted: 03 January 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-10

Thanks Wendy.  I’ve just checked the German Wings website and unfortunately they don’t seem to fly from Stansted to Friedrichshafen any more, only Manchester and Scotland, so that would make the journey from London to Warth way too long. What a shame!

I think I’ll take your advice and try Ryanair to Memmingen, with the 2 hour drive the other end.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted: 07 January 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-01-05

Try Austrian Air they do flights out of LHR to Innsbruck, i think.
John

Posted: 27 December 2012 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-12-27

A quick update. Monarch now fly to Friedrickshaven from both Manchester and Gatwick, the transfer being just over an hour. It is quite handy for St Anton too. When I skied in Warth a couple of years ago, we flew to Stuttgart and the drive was just under three hours.

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-01-02

I went there last year with my young family…a gamble late season (as you wont see much written in the UK media about this resort), which paid off handsomely. We stayed at Sportshotel Steffisalp. There is little more than i can say other than: IT RE-WROTE THE NEW BENCHMARK FOR SKIING HOLIDAYS.
Best travel advice is to fly to Zurich, as there is high frequency availability from any large UK airport. From here, take the elevator from arrivals straight down into the train station below. Relax in Swiss comfort (yes - at economy rates!) as you are transported smoothly in uber modern trains in just over an hour to BREGENZ. From this quaint little station, there are several Hotel operated bus transfers to Warth which take less than an hour in stunning scenery. If you need to make inquiries i suggest an E-Mail 4 days before in advance to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) with the time when you will arrive in Bregenz. From memory we paid € 110,- for the whole family. There is also a local gent by the name of Christian who makes taxi transfers from Warth, the price to Zurich airport is € 285 or thereabouts and takes just under 2 hrs. Tel 0043 (0)664 2624570 Christian.

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-02

Ive just found the contact that helped us:

WARTH-SCHRÖCKEN TOURISMUS
Angela Breier
Urlaubs- und Zimmerinformation
A-6888 Schröcken
T +43 (0) 5519 267-0
F +43 (0) 5519 267-5

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Web: http://www.warth-schroecken.com

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-14

For anyone interested we drive to Holzgau and stay at Hotel Neupost in their fabulous Villa Rosa apartments. We stay half board so no cooking unless you want to. Hotel run by family and so friendly. You can use the free bus from outside reception to Warth or Schrocken but we drive as we like to stop at Steeg on the way home each day to swim in the fab pool with cafe bar. This year we are paying around £400 to £500 per adult including lift pass, apartment (with sauna and steam bath) and half board. We use Tesco vouchers for the tunnel. Door to door is around 10 hours with short stops. The hotel will also collect from airports for a competitive charge. See link for further info:  http://www.holzgau-wel.com/en/ added bonus of driving is that you can access other ski areas included in the lift pass or do some sight seeing such as the castle at Neuschwanstein (Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang).
Holzgau has it’s own ski slope and the evening toboggan fun run where the farmer brings his tractor and takes 20 sledges at a time up the mountain where you’re given a schnapps before plummeting down the run - a real thrill!!

Posted: 31 January 2013 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-31

Yeah, skiing is a great sport for me. I’ve been into this sport for 5 years and I can say that I know much of it. I’ve also been to many different skiing spots around the world. Me and my group are planning to go to Malaysia to encourage those ski and snowboard enthusiast there to participate in our world tour and we need to know which hotel is the best for my team. Someone have suggested me to check in at hostel in Penang, what can you say about it guys?

Posted: 16 August 2013 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-15

Best travel advice is to fly to Zurich, as there is high frequency availability from any large UK airport. From here, take the elevator from arrivals straight down into the train station below.

Posted: 19 November 2013 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-11-19

I’m gonna travel in Austria in this year with my family. I think it will be great…