Linked Resorts in one Chapter, not different ones
Posted: 10 June 2013 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2013-06-10

Hello,
i’d like to propose that you put all linked resorts together in one chapter, because the skiing is esentially the same when you simply can ski to another linked resort by runs and lifts.

You could merge the following chapters of the 2012 edition into one:

SkiWelt (Ellmau, Söll)
Paradiski (Les Arcs, La Plagne)
Portes du Soleil (Avoriaz 1800, Chatel, Les Gets, Morzine, Champery)
Les Deux Alpes/La Grave
Le Grand Massif (Flaine, Samoens)
Trois Vallees (Courchevel, Les Menuires, St-Martin-de-Belleville, La Tania, Val Thorens)
Via Lattea (Montgenevre, Sauze d’Oulx)
Espace Killy (Tignes, Val-d’Isere)
Espace San Bernardo (La Rosiere/La Thuile)
Cervinia/Zermatt
Selva/Val Gardena/Sella Ronda

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2010-11-07

Hi dracon, the risk of doing what you propose may be that you would not get an idea of the individual resorts but only the ski area, you can hardly say that Zermatt and Cervinia are the same!!.
However I think what you suggest has merit and another way to do this may be to actually have a new chapter in the book showing the major ski areas as you have mentioned, this could give a general description of the area and its attributes and could then reference to any full resort entries for the area elsewhere in the book.

Posted: 10 June 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10

It is the same because you can go to the other one by ski using lifts wink.

Plus, you could divide the chapter in itself again, for example the chapter “Cervinia/Zermatt” provides General Information first and then is divided into Cervinia and Zermatt - you would have the opportunity to describe each part of the resort for itself, but you don’t confuse the reader.

For example, because Ellmau and Söll have different chapters you could think that are really different resorts - while in fact they share most of the slopes and lifts and each is easily accessible from one another. It is similar for Avoriaz, Morzine and Champery.

Posted: 10 June 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-07

The fact that they are joined by lifts surely does not make them the same, or are you saying that all resorts are the same if they are linked by lifts, I don’t think so!!!!.

Posted: 10 June 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10

But the directly accessible ski area is the same.

Posted: 13 June 2013 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-07

yes I agree with you the ski area is the same, however as chapters are set out in country order it would complicate matters where ski areas cross between countries.
The main reason I believe that many resorts are described as they currently are is due to their differing nature, as I said Zermatt and Cervinia are totally different resorts, the fact they are linked by lift and piste does not necessarily mean they are the same, surely.
I understand what you are getting at and in my 2013 copy the PDS is described and also individual resorts. And there are others.
It may be possible for their to be a section describing the major multi resort ski areas, but I expect that there are limitations to the amount of space available within the book due to keeping within cost restraints.
I expect Chris Gill or Dave Watts (The Editors) may notice this thread and comment, but I expect they are pretty busy working on the 2014 copy.

Posted: 13 June 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2009-05-15

As DonL has guessed, we are preoccupied with editing the new book right now. I’ve just jumped in to say that we will certainly consider this idea, but you have to bear in mind not only the international angle (several of these areas cross frontiers) but also the fact that not everyone makes use of links. Famously, many visitors to Courchevel never go outside that valley.

We could consider grouping chapters together, but we still have to decide on how to deal with the international angle.

You may be interested to know that when I produced the Good Skiiing Guide 30 years ago, we ordered all the chapters entirely geographically - so not only were the Three Valleys resorts lumped together, but La Plagne and then Les Arcs came next.

We’ll chew it over in October ...

best

Chris

Posted: 14 June 2013 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10
Chris Gill - 13 June 2013 11:43 AM

As DonL has guessed, we are preoccupied with editing the new book right now. I’ve just jumped in to say that we will certainly consider this idea, but you have to bear in mind not only the international angle (several of these areas cross frontiers) but also the fact that not everyone makes use of links. Famously, many visitors to Courchevel never go outside that valley.

We could consider grouping chapters together, but we still have to decide on how to deal with the international angle.

You may be interested to know that when I produced the Good Skiiing Guide 30 years ago, we ordered all the chapters entirely geographically - so not only were the Three Valleys resorts lumped together, but La Plagne and then Les Arcs came next.

We’ll chew it over in October ...

best

Chris

I get your point. There are some areas that are linked but still have own characters, while others are really mostly the same.

For example: Les Arcs/La Plagne are only connected by the Vanoise Express, that’s all. That is the case in some of the resorts and i agree that splitting may be reasonable at international resorts. Especially when you consider the way by road getting to one another can be really long (like Zermatt/Cervinia, that’s a long way by car).

Considering the situation in the resorts by themselves, that would leave SkiWelt (Ellmau, Söll), Le Grand Massif (Flaine, Samoens) and Espace Killy (Tignes, Val d’Isere) to merge.

Plus, we have Portes du Soleil and Trois Vallees, which have 5 chapters each. Portes du Soleil maybe could be splitted into one swiss chapter and one or two french chapters. Trois Valles could be divided into only three chapters, one for each valley.

Posted: 17 June 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-07

We seem to have reached a sensible and I think logical consensus.
Yes there are some areas that would benefit from the area as a whole being published together to give an idea of the merits of the ski area on its own, the resort chapters would then continue to give a better idea of individual resort towns/villages and their individual attributes.
One benefit might be to highlight where a resort either side of an international boundary has equally good access to the ski area but differs greatly perhaps due to cost or facilities. Or indeed simply exchange rates!!.

Don.

‹‹ Abi Butcher’s injury      General Feedback ››