1. Does cold waxing work? 2. How much should you pay to have your skis edged and waxed? 3. Is it difficult to do yourself?
Posted: 30 December 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-03

1. Does cold waxing work.
2. How much should you pay to have your skis edged and waxed ?

I have just bought a set of skis after having hired for years and now have the joy of maintaining them and I am looking for advice.  Being no expert and only just beginning to venture off piste I am looking for a sensible approach without becoming obsessive to cleaning / waxing & edging

Posted: 31 December 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2010-11-07

Cold waxing doesn’t really work as it only puts the wax on the surface and this quickly gets removed, the wax needs to get into the base of the ski where it will remain much longer, also cold waxing often affects the skis performance as most people tend to leave too much on the ski.
A wax and edge should cost from approx. £15 upwards.
It isn’t difficult to do yourself, this year I bought an iron, waxes, and edge tools plus brushes etc, downloaded instructions from Edge and Wax (free), you do need space to do it ie shed or garage as it is messy, I use a black and decker workmate as it secures the skis well, you can use a table and vice though, each layer of wax you apply you have to scape and brush off the excess, this is what makes the mess, but with a decorators sheet on the floor to catch it no problem, the outlay on equipment was about £80 but as I service 3 of our own sets of skis several times per year I think its a good investment.  This way you can also choose the angle you want your edges set to.

Regards Don.

Posted: 04 January 2014 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-03

Thanks that’s really helpful.  If I read your advice right then it suggests I might be just as well getting them done twice a year for £15 quid odd if it is just one pair.

Posted: 04 January 2014 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2010-11-07

When I said £15, that’s a from price, that would be the cheapest and really it depends where you go, in some resorts you can get it done fairly cheap and in others its more expensive. However many resorts use a machine that does them fairly quickly and in Bulgaria I have paid as little as 15 lev which is about £8. But I think doing them by hand yourself gives a much better result.
But the reason I chose to do my own was threefold, one is you know they have been done properly and by hand, two is I often use the indoor snow centres and the snow in these tends to be quite abrasive as well as the matted areas by the lifts, and thirdly they can be done at short notice, when we go by car to the alps I chuck it in the car (the iron and tools) and can service in resort if needed.
The best way for you to decide if its worthwhile is do decide, whether you can be bothered, if you have the space, and if you feel its worth the expense.  To work out costs try looking at some uk websites for ski servicing and make a note of what resort prices are then youll have an idea if its worth your while.
Hope this helps.

‹‹ confused      Salomon Equipe 93 Boots ››