off piste insurance cover
Posted: 03 April 2016 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-01-27

Alert 1Cover ski insurance based in Australia
This insurance claims to cover off piste under its FAQs. Here is the wording and make your own decisions:“Yes we provide cover for off-piste skiing and snow boarding as long as it is within a short distance from designated areas of ski resort boundaries ON GROOMED TERRAIN that are open and patrolled by ski resort.”
This would seem to offer no relevant off piste cover whatsoever. It certainly wouldnt cover ski routes in Switzerland and Austria, between the trees off the edge etc. This wording is so vague it is as good as useless for anyone but piste skiers.
When I rang to ask there definition of a “short distance” they would not commit to any definitive response whatsoever.
Because they would not be pinned down I decided to cancel my cover - 9 months in advance of the trip - only to be told there would be no refund of any kind. This inspite of the fact i have been a recurring customer.
My fault I suppose: buyer beware!

Posted: 05 April 2016 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-01-05

How long ago did you take out the insurance and receive your certificate of insurance?  If you cancelled within 14 days then they are meant to refund you, whereas after that they don’t, per the PDS on their website.

Agree that the off piste cover sounds like it’s essentially useless.  In fact it’s almost worse than useless: what if you hurt yourself on an ungroomed piste, where you had no way of getting down that particular part of the mountain without descending said piste?

Posted: 05 April 2016 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-01-27

yes its past 14 days as i wasnt really thinking about it until later. Im just surprised there was no “good faith” element for a loyal customer. Oh how the world has changed - loyalty is worthless.

Posted: 07 April 2016 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2010-11-07

Ski club GB cover for off piste does not have any of the ski boundary restrictions you mention, it also covers for when you are without a guide. Also comes with a Fogg Medicard which can be shown to ensure you have no problems if needing evac or medical assistance.