No book for 2017
Posted: 20 August 2016 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2013-06-10

On the website you state:

The 2016 edition is on sale here, and will remain so until the autumn of 2017.

Where to Ski and Snowboard is changing. After 21 years and 20 editions, the editors and publishers, Dave and Chris, have decided on a radical change of direction. There is no new edition of WTSS this year. Next year we plan to publish something completely different – watch this space.

So is this the end?

Because I’m afraid the “completely different” thing will be an app, which is certainly not a replacement by any means. The team of the german DSV Ski-Atlas tried that after their last edition in late 2011, and it has not really worked well, to say the least…

Why? Because a book is always better than apps. It doesn’t drain your battery, take your memory up, but most importantly: There are so many options for informations on ski resorts on the internet, so there is really no added value in apps over websites. You would suddenly compete with all those websites instead of having no competition on the book market.

But if you do an app, then at least make sure to include _everything_ from the book (including geographical maps, piste maps, resort index) plus the chapters that were dropped from the book in the past.

Posted: 20 August 2016 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-05-15

The plan is to produce digital books (for iOs, Android and Kindle devices), print books and apps. So you should find something to suit you.

Chris

Posted: 21 August 2016 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-01-05

Will there be a digital version of WTSS 2017 or a set of specific e-books? Perhaps if the annual publishing is an issue then you could publish very two years instead?

Posted: 21 August 2016 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-15

It is very unlikely that we will publish a single volume covering the same range of resorts as the current book. Both digital and print publications are likely to be narrower in scope. The print editions will, as you suggest, be updated less frequently.

Chris

Posted: 22 August 2016 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10

Hm. The Email states there will be “a series of shorter resort guides dedicated to various market niches”... so the only real possibilty I can see there would be splitting the book up by categories snowboarder, freerider and piste skier (beginner/intermediate/expert would be possible, but I don’t think it would be practicable) or regionally.

In that case, rankings would be great. Because even if a couple of resorts have five stars in a category, still one is better than another.

Just make sure to offer shipping of printed versions to Europe. For some reason, that has stopped for the book (but luckily after I already had my 2016 copy).

Posted: 23 August 2016 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2010-11-07

Sad to hear of the demise of the printed book, however I can fully understand why, the time and effort that has to be put in to what is effectively a niche publication and the production costs and distribution must have had very tight margins.
As has already been said there is now so much info on the web that the book was no doubt an expensive option in the eyes of many (sadly not myself as I have for many years enjoyed being able to grab the book and have a little read as and when).
But of course to survive we must move with the times, I hope that all that is currently available in the book will be available in the new formats as they are developed, of course the advantage you will have is the online version will be much more up to date as you can quickly update as info becomes available.
It will be important in the future to design the new version in a way that generates as much or more interest than the printed version, I have used the book solely to decide on which areas or resorts will be suitable for my son and I based mainly on the amount of skiing appropriated to our skill level, it will be most important that this continues I believe, of course a search engine would no doubt make this an easier task as you would be pointed in the direction of the most appropriate resorts, though I always found the guide at the beginning of the book did this quite well.
Of course there is one big advantage with going digital, at present you are restricted by the amount of pages that can be printed, therefore there are some resorts and areas that get little cover in the main text, and other resorts that have to be consigned to the rear section of brief summaries, I would imagine that in the future many of these resorts could have more in depth sections with piste maps etc.
These are changing and challenging times for publishers and I wish all of you at WTTS the best of luck in the new venture, I shall continue to be both a customer and will send in my resort reports each season.

Posted: 23 August 2016 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-15

Dracon9:

We have various ideas on the niches we might target.

We’ll ship overseas if we can find an economic way of doing it. By coincidence, the warehouse we have been using for X years to ship overseas revised its charges earlier in the summer in a way that ruled them out - that’s why we are currently not shipping.

DonL:

Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes.

We can’t at this stage promise anything, but it is certainly on our agenda to cover more resorts in reasonable detail. But that doesn’t mean the level of detail we have gone to in the existing book.

cheers

Chris

Posted: 23 August 2016 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10

On shipping: On which basis did they revise it, was that reasonable or not? As far as I can see, if the Royal Mail decides to increase their charges there is not much to do. Either people pay that or don’t buy. (I don’t know how the market in the UK is, but in Germany there are not many options other than our equivalent to the Royal Mail for letters. And they keep increasing their charges too…)

Posted: 23 August 2016 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-15

We didn’t stop overseas sales lightly, I assure you. It wasn’t to do with postage costs.

Chris

‹‹ News in resorts      PLANS FOR 2018 BOOK? ››