What do you think of the Daily Mail Ski Mag?
Posted: 10 November 2008 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2008-01-05

I know that this is a subject very close to WTSS’s heart but the subjct arose on another snow forum. I have been a regular subscriber to DMSS for absolute years now but I feel the magazine offers very little these days, and won’t be renewing. It seems pretty much like an advertorial and the resort reviews are clearly cut copied and pasted from WTSS. Personally I feel that other magazines offer a better product, and I know that this view was shared with pretty much everyone else on the other forum.

For me anyway, I would rather see an in depth report on the most popular ski resorts that us Brits go to, rather than some guys going heli skiing in Russia. Let’s face it only about 0.5% of skiers will ever do a trip like that surely? It would also be good to get some (in depth)info on the world cup ski circuit too.

What does evryone else think?

Posted: 10 November 2008 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

I quite like reading about the exotic destinations and off-piste adventures, but agree the balance may have shifted too much in their favour for most folk - but isn’t that the point of including them: escapism and bringing those adventures to the coffee table?

I do agree that fuller features from the piste and ‘everyday’ resorts would enhance the content. And agree more coverage on events such as the World Cup series would be a good idea. As for advertorials… these days that’s what funds publications.

Posted: 10 November 2008 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2008-01-05

I stopped reading it when I realised that they were recycling articles. A few years ago I found an article in the mag about buying a ski apartment. Apart from a few minor changes it was the same article published the previous year.

Now it contains a few bits of equipment tests but actually gives less information than this site and pistehors.com. And they charge for buying all that advertising.

John

Posted: 11 November 2008 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

Know exactly what you mean John. I could petty much bring out last years magazine and it would pretty much be the same as this years, albeit with a few new skis etc.

Posted: 16 November 2008 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-01-05

I like reading about the latest skis but I also feel that some parts are too much like adverts. More honest discussions needed about all topics. Perhaps some personal experiences of skis would be good the marking seems remarkable flat.

I ski Rossignol B2’s and they are great. Anyone skied on B83’s? Are they better?

Perhaps we should suggest content needed??

Posted: 17 November 2008 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

esrio, try http://www.snowheads.com for personal experiences of skis etc

Posted: 20 November 2008 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-01-05

Bobski

Thanks for the tip. I will look at it; I am curious what they will think about the B78/B83 skis.