Apres Ski Clothing
Posted: 16 November 2008 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-05

Hello everyone,

I have a very "girly" question, which boots/shoes do you recommend for apres ski? I understand that they should be waterproof, but would a long boot be better than a shorter one?

Should one take an extra jacket and must it be the same as one’s jacket for skiing (ie wind/waterproof)? Any other clothing tips picked up by the experts would be appreciated!

Thanks for helping!

Nicci

Posted: 16 November 2008 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2008-01-05

Hi,

A decent pair of waterproof and breathable wlaking boots whould be fine (and dont have to cost the earth),a good pair can be picked up for £25-£35.

The jacket you wear for skiing will be ample or you could take a medium weight fleece which has a removable waterproof/windproof outer shell which will do the job also..again this need not cost the earth.

Also another concideration is the time of year you are planning on going? if its early to mid season the weather will be colder and with more snow…but as you progress to the latter part of the season the weather becomes milder (although sudden drops in temperature and massive falls of snow are not uncommon in late season,in some areas late march and early april have their biggest dumps of the white stuff)taking a small but varied selection of outer garments lets you plan each day as it comes and will give you more choice.

I hope some of this helps and i haven’t rammbled

all the best for you’re comming trip

Jon.

Posted: 17 November 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

Hi Nicci

I’m a ‘girlie’ and I’d agree with Jon on walking boots. I have a fabric, goretex (waterproof) pair, which are light and comfortable to wear around town in the evenings. I’ve found that I rarely need anything else. Key factor is that they have grippy, good tread soles so they grip icier paths better. Wear warmer socks with them - such as thorlos (wool or primaloft-based hiking socks) then your feet stay toasty too.

As for a jacket: I prefer to take an alternative to my ski jacket, purely because it gets sweaty during the day - but most people don’t bother taking two. Again, if it’s a shell sytle jacket, then you’ll need to layer up in the evening with a fleece top.

As an alternative, I’d recommend a thicker windproof fleece or soft shell jacket - I use the latter and they shed light snow quite well, so they are fine for a stroll to the bars/restaurants and you can wear them on the slopes on a mild, sunny day too.

Posted: 17 November 2008 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2008-01-05

I tend not to look at footwear so I am no expert, but from the pile of shoes left at the door almost everyone I know wears trekking shoes on their feet in the evening, even my incredibly girlie niece who once wore a skirt to go out at night. 

As for coats, my philosophy is to try and get away with what I will wear in the bar and not take a coat of any sort (and yes, I was born in Newcastle). This is for two reasons: I did once have my ski jacket stolen in a bar in Val d?Isere, and also it allows you more space in the bar without coats stuffed between you. Normally you do not get too cold walking from overheated bar to overheated bar so they are not really necessary. But don?t get so drunk you fall down and go to sleep in the street.

John

Posted: 17 November 2008 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2008-01-05

nicci
Where are you going and how close is your hotel to the bars etc? If you’re staying in a high purpose built resort, I think you can forget your stilettos, and as everyone says, take walking boots.
If however you’re staying in the centre of a more traditional town, you could probably do without a second jacket, ie a fleece or similar would do at night. When I go to St Anton with the boys we always stay dead central and I usually manage with a tshirt and hoody/fleece at night - and I’m not from Newcastle!

Posted: 21 November 2008 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2008-01-05

I like the thought of taking crampons on a ski holiday. Not the whole 12 pointers but some heal ones that are relatively light. I used the "yeti" gaiters walking around Sofia in horrible wet snow and found them fantastic - much better than Wellies.

Posted: 10 December 2008 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-05

Thanks very much for everyone’s advice! My walking boots are already in my suitcase and as there seem to be LOTS of snow, I will be taking more than one jacket!

Thanks again, enjoy!