Best Hidden Mountain Restaurants
Posted: 18 April 2009 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2008-01-05

Hi All,

I have been looking at various forums and threads and one item that seems to crop up are which mountain restaurants are best…not the usual suspects that are visited by the masses but the ones hidden away off the beaten track that if you are not aware of them you may not even realise they existed….?

To get the ball rolling one of my favourtes (although i haven’t been for some years is the Rodelhutte between the Gampen sector of St.Anton and Nassrrain.

To access the restaurant you need to go up the lift to Gampen and then ski back down to the bottom on the red ,about halfway/two thirds of the way down there is a blue which goes off to the left under the lift, through the trees where you eventually come to the Rodelhutte, an ancient rustic old barn with a open fire which serves the best Tirolergrostl i have ever had…...with a nice bottle of wine it’s one of the best places to while away a long ,lazy lunch while the winter weather howls around you outside.

jon.

Posted: 19 April 2009 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2008-01-05

Here’s a few favourites:

Verbier: Traditional fare on great terrace at "Les Marmottes" on the piste down towards Savoleyres; Classy "Chez Dani" in the woods surrounded by multi million chf chalets - look for the signs on the left when skiing down the piste towards Medran; Unlikely location, good value, great food - Chez Odette nr the parking in Siviez.

Zermatt: The best of Swiss "Zum See" in idyllic hamlet on way down to Furi. Cow hide covered bar stools at "Chez Vrony" over the other side in the hamlet of Findeln. Mouthwatering Italian Mama’s Cucina at the table service restaurant at Chalet Etoille over in Cervinia (my favourite restaurant in the Alps)

Val d’Isere: Innovative presentation and tasty food at the dairy - "La Fruitiere" next door to Folies Douces on way down to La Daille; Funky decor and great nosh at "Le Signal" above Le Fornet

These aren’t hidden gems but you can’t go wrong at any of them (unless you are on a budget) wink

Posted: 21 April 2009 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

Yes, Chez Vrony is a great place. Actually all those at Findeln are pretty good. A favourite of mine though is the Heidelberger Hutte in Ischgl - you have a three mile snowmobile tow or cross-country scoot to reach it and it has a splendid isolated location near the Austro-Swiss border.

And I love the real olde world, traditional places like the Ferme in Chatel. Recently discovered the Ancolie in Peisey Nancroix. OK, so I’m cheating a bit as it’s not really a mountain restaurant in the sense that a piste goes there (you’ll need a ten-minute shuttle bus ride or an off-piste descent from Belle Plagne) - but it really is a lovely little place and worth a lingering lunch on a sunny day.

The Chalet du Solliet above Villaroger (Les Arcs) is great - and often quieter than the rest of the resort. In Alpe d’Huez - ski down to the Foret de Maronne, at Chatelard below Signal de L’Homme - nothing special to look at, but some lovely food and quite a sun trap.

Posted: 15 October 2009 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2009-05-15
jonG - 18 April 2009 01:13 PM

which mountain restaurants are best…not the usual suspects that are visited by the masses but the ones hidden away off the beaten track that if you are not aware of them you may not even realise they existed….
jon.

Neat idea, Jon. We might think about highlighting such places on the site or in the book - as long as you don’t think that would spoil them?

Meanwhile, let’s have some more suggestions along these lines.

Posted: 27 October 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2009-10-27

Not sure what it’s called but on the way down from Rendl, St. Anton theres a tiny place among the trees that serve traditional Austrian food.

Posted: 30 October 2009 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-02

In the Porte de Soleil there are several ace resto’s hidden in the “goats village” above Ardent near Avoriaz which is woeful for food…you would ski back down a little from the top of the fast modern Ardent telecabine and bear off to the right to ski thru the little farming hamlet and then rejoin the main piste easily after your meal. You can smell the goats too !

Signature 

Robert G Robb

Posted: 30 October 2009 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2008-01-05
Chris Gill - 15 October 2009 08:36 AM
jonG - 18 April 2009 01:13 PM

which mountain restaurants are best…not the usual suspects that are visited by the masses but the ones hidden away off the beaten track that if you are not aware of them you may not even realise they existed….
jon.

Neat idea, Jon. We might think about highlighting such places on the site or in the book - as long as you don’t think that would spoil them?

Meanwhile, let’s have some more suggestions along these lines.

Hi Chris,

I know thats the problem, ot was the same with the resort of Ste-Foy…a few years back it was an undiscovered gem and a secret haven for those that new it was there away from the mega resorts, but now still a great place,just busier.

I like introdicing new mountain lovers to to the undiscovered gems as it can sometimes bring a magical response from them,and hopefully increase their love of the environment,but on the opposite side of the coin you don’t want the atmosphere to be ruined (does that make me sound bad?).

jon

Posted: 19 November 2009 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-09-29

The first time we visited Zermatt over 12 years ago, we had a magical time over the Christmas holiday.  On one day it snowed so hard that we got lost and ended up on a long run into the valley through trees (I thnk it was down below Findeln).  Then a clearing appeared on the right of the piste with a snow covered chalet in the middle of it.  Inside it was cosy and warm with an open fire and tarts laid out on a stone harth.  It was empty and the welcoming hostess plied us with great coffee and cake.  Eventually we trudged out into the snow and back to the empty trail. 

We’ve been back to Zermatt at least 5 times since and we haven’t managed to find the same place.  I am beginning to suspect that it is the Swiss equivalent of Brigadoon.  Any suggestions where it might be?

Posted: 02 January 2010 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-01-02

Here are my favourites:

Zermatt: “Chez Vrony” amazing quality and environment for the ones without financial issues (8 Euros per bottle of water).

Cortina d’ Ampezzo/Sella Ronda: “Rifugio Scotoni” Great mountain refuge half-way down the world’s most amazing piste (Hidden Valley). BBQ in the middle of a frozen Heaven.

Saalbach: “Hecherhutte” a great traditional mountain hut half-way down the least popular but most picturesque ski piste (it ends up in Viehhofen on the road to Saalbach and you need to take the bus to the village).

Lech: Can’t remember the name of the restaurant, but it is easy to find. Just ask for the restaurant in nearby village Zugg which has a sleigh-train. A snowcat which pulls 4 or 5 sleigh-wagons picks you up from a dead end road and takes you through the forest to the village of Zugg to this medieval country house in the forest with tiny dark rooms and even private rooms for the large tables.

Selva/Ortisei/Alpe di Suisi: “Albergo Dialer” The food is traditional and served in big frying pans, but this is not the main issue. You are driven from your hotel to a dead-end location where you are picked up by a snowcat that drives you to the peak of Alpe di Suisi to this hotel/restaurant. After the great dinner (if you want) you are given a head-flashlight and a sleigh and you and your gang slide down the mountain in the middle of the night with the assistance of an experienced guide. I had never been on a sleigh before and the same applied for my mates (guys & girls). At the start it was a little scarry but then adrenalin kicked in and we zoomed down at unbelievable speeds without falling even once. Better than sex I must say.

Val d’ Isere: “La Casserole” I don’t think this restaurant exists anymore. Back in 1996 when I visited the resort I was amazed by this restaurant. It was in an ancient barn just outside the village and the atmosphere in there was breathtaking. The ceiling was hardly 1,9m tall, everything was made from 300 year-old wood, the staircase was the steepest I have ever seen, almost scarry, and the decor took you back some 300 years. They served the best meat Vondue that I have ever had with unlimited baked potatoes. A real experience.

That’s all folks.
CavemanAthens

Posted: 04 January 2010 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-01-03

Well, il Nido dell Aquila in Balboutet ( Italian Alps, After Fenestrelle, before Pragelato), is great. The owner hunts the game himself and if you speak some Italian you will enjoy his stories…. Also l’Antica Osteria, much posher and more expensive is in PLan, a small stone house…be ready for a food experience and a substancial bill!

Paola
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/italy/IT3476.htm

‹‹ Flaine/Morillon      Summer skiing ››