Where to learn snowboard in France
Posted: 23 November 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-05

I’m trying to choose from Chamonix, Flaine, Serre Chevalier, Les Deux Alps and Le Plagne for time around mid to end of March. I would be grateful for some recommendations please.

Many thanks in advance!

Posted: 23 November 2007 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

I wouldn’t choose Chamonix for beginner snowboarders - the slopes are fragmented and challenging. Best leave it until you’ve done a few weeks and can appreciate the whole area.

La Plagne has lots of choice for beginners and mostly chair-lifts. It’s a good place to learn overall, with some lovely open runs high up.

But our first week snowboarder found the main bowl (Plagne Centre) too crowded and the green slope there limited. So, if you go there, I would suggest choosing one of the other bases - eg:Bellcote or Belle Plagne - these are also better for late season.

Serre Chevalier is a lovely resort, with good nursery slopes, nice cruising to progress to and an improved beginner area higher up the mountain (http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=301&id=533). The lifts are being upgraded now, but there are still quite a few drags around.

I haven’t been to Flaine, but our 5 star rating for beginners should say it all really…take a look at the book for more.

Flaine and La Plagne are probably the better choices for mid-March.

Posted: 04 December 2007 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-05

Thanks Wendy.

How about Les Deux Alps? Any good?

Posted: 04 December 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

Average I’d say, but I’ve only been there once.

There are reasonable nursery slopes at village level and the glacier runs are superb (but a long ride up to get there - so not ideal for your first week!).

The main point I found was that the runs in the main bowl were crowded and "funnel"-like - which concerned our novices at the time. The green/blue in the main bowl was a road run for the most part and flattish - which boarders really hate. Our novice boarder walked it!

For intermediate boarders and freestyle fans, the resort has terrific terrain-parks. My advise would be to learn somewhere else, then go there when you have a couple, or more, weeks experience. Alpe d’Huez has some excellent green runs - so you could learn there and visit Les Deux Alpes for the day to judge for yourself.

Posted: 16 April 2011 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-04-13

I am planning to made my visit in the month of March. So which place is good to ski for me and my family. We love ski. Thank You.

Signature 

Professionally good in Luxury Mattressess

Posted: 09 January 2014 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2014-01-09

Grenoble is a great area wher to learn snowboard for beginner. It is a pretty well known area. Also close to Mont Blank there are many places where to look for a place where to learn. Another nice area is Barcellonette. It is not a very tourist area so you will get less crwody places and this is pretty good for beginners.

Posted: 06 August 2014 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2014-03-27

So hows your ski vacation? Hope it was great! Too late to read for this thread, but need your help though. I’m also planning to go for a great place to ski in Europe by December, do you guys have any idea?

Posted: 11 August 2016 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-08-11

What is your skill level in terms of skiing? I have been to Serre Chevalier and it’s a good training ground for beginners and even those who are gradually improving their skills. My family loves going on ski holidays to France. In fact, that is the highlight of our year, every year.

Image Attachments
Ski Holidays France.jpg

Posted: 10 May 2017 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-05-10

Thanks for share your valuable post.
http://www.youdial.in/packers-and-movers-goa
http://www.youdial.in/packers-and-movers-bathinda

‹‹ Ski or Board?      advise for ski trip ››