1 of 2
Do Cheap Airlines Take The P***
Posted: 07 March 2009 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2008-01-05

Just had an experience which has left me in doubts about ditching the cheap airlines and using ferry crossings and my own car in future….

Two friends and myself had arranged date to go out to BsM at the end of April, but due to work moved the dates from a Tuesday & Sunday to Monday & Friday to go out and come back on with Easyjet.

When booking the flights i made a mistake and accidently put the wrong dates ,but had already press confirm..the cost £247.98p, I emmidiately logged into the My easyjet section where the option Ammend/Change Flights is so having changed the flights the new cost came in at £123.00p.

After checking my Credit Card statement both amounts had been taken from my account, when i contacted easyjet i was informed that "we are a non-refundable airline ,and don’t give refunds of any kind"and was basically told "tough s***" and that "it’s in the terms and conditions".....yes if you want to trawl you’re way through the site to get to them it is, also when you click on the Ammend/Change Flights tabthere is no warning at all that you will lose you’re money…..if there had of been i would have kept the original flights and changed my holiday dates at work.

The result is i am now £247.98p out of pocket,and have made a Freedom of Information Request for the private office contact details for Stellios Haj’Iounnou so I can tell him what i think, and this is the bloke who not so long ago was on the news saying how much he values his customers….at least O’leary who owns Ryanair openly doesn’t give a stuff about his passengers as long as they are paying to use his airline.

As you may be now aware….I am seriously cheesed off…

Posted: 08 March 2009 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-01-05

Sorry but this is just down to carelessness on your part Jon. Very unfortunate but with any automated system (which is what keeps the costs down in the first place) the onus is on you to get it right.

easyJet puts up a final warning window which offers you the chance to check nagain before you press "confirm". Clearly you didn’t!

I feel sorry for you because this is an expensive mistake - but it was YOUR mistake.

JJ

Posted: 08 March 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

Hi JJ,

I openly admit it was a mistake on my part, it will be the last time i book anything after having worked around 16 hrs straight….it’s more the attitude of the "customer Experience" team which gets my back up…..oh it’s been an experience alright..

All the best

Jon.

Posted: 08 March 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2008-01-05

Jon,

I am not sure that the word cheap should be used. Perhaps a better term would be "every thing costs extra - and much more than you would imagine" My recent experience is that BA and KLM are less expensive in total, but BA only operates from London so is not very convenient.

Like you I am looking to go out at the end of the season for a weekend and discovered that airmiles will give me a free flight to Geneva. Pity that Tgnes is closed on the Mayday bank holiday.

John

Posted: 12 March 2009 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

So what do you think of Ryanair’s latest move then: raise baggage charges and remove check-in desks? The no-frills travellers takes on a new meaning…

Posted: 13 March 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

And a proposal to charge for using the toilet on the plane! Frankly by the time you have gone through all their extra charges and removing the things you do not want it is much easier and less expensive to use a normal all inclusive airline. Ryanair are not a suitable airline for a skiing trip. Their target market is the weekend away to Prague not skiers.

Let us just forget about them.

John

Posted: 13 March 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

Yeah, though they still promote their ski routes a fair bit - wonder what their winter market is like now, compared with other airlines. Can’t be encouraging many skiers - unless it’s the kind who hire everything in resort and carry no extra kit.

Such a pity though, as I had some excellent short ski breaks using them to get me to the slopes cheaply - even though we had to drive to Stansted from Somerset! 

Posted: 13 March 2009 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

Wendy,

I know you are probably fed up with me going on about airmiles, but I have just used 1500 each to go for a weekend trip to geneva. We fly out on the Friday night and return the Monday night. Unfortuenately the fights are from Heathrow (no where near as bad as Stansted, but still a worrying treck on a Friday). The cost for the family is, IRRC, about a years worth of shopping from a major supermarket.

After about a year of no flights being available from airmiles, it is good to see them return, albeit mainly from London with BA (should they be now renamed London Airways?)

Just out of curiosity I was reading the blurb on a FlyBe flight last weekend and noticed that they are quoting a Co2 emmission of 75 gms per passenger km. This is certainly better than a single user car journey. It makes you think.

John

Posted: 13 March 2009 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

Not at all, John. I think any way of saving a few bob on travel is useful and a lot of folk forget about such things. I collect Airmiles, but very slowly ... so I haven’t made much use of them and it’s generally cheaper for me to use other means - but i can see that it could work well for families etc.

A friend complained recently that he had to use his Airmiles within a date limit though, or he would lose them all (he’s been collecting for a while and has loads)- seems odd and it’s news to me. Any experience of this?

You obviously take the time to research your flights etc, what do you think would be of most use to skiers to know? (I’m thinking in terms of getting some of this info together perhaps)

Posted: 13 March 2009 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

Let me think about the research bit and write some words over the weekend.

The airmiles thing is a little complicated by some airlines offering their own schemes, such as klm (one of my friends used to take weekends home from Ghana using these since he collected so many). I beleive that BA had one recently that that has a date limited method and was making a bit of news.

The airmiles scheme offerd by airmiles.co.uk applies to many airlines, but they just sent a message around recently saying that if you have not added to your airmiles over the last (18 months I think) then your airmiles account will be closed and you will loose all the miles you have accured.

Posted: 13 March 2009 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-05

I think it’s about time i cashed in my rewards points from my Amex card…I am sure they are doing a deal on ski passes this year, will make my trip away a bit cheaper after my costly mistake booking with Easyjet.

Also have you noticed that they automatically include their own travel insurance at about £9 per person? i wonder how many passengers have paid that without realising? like you say john are they any cheaper in the long run than a normal airline.

Where i live in Wellingborough we will over the next couple of years will be able to directly access the Eurostar with trains direct to the alps, so in the not too distant future the cheap airlines may lose my custom
entirely.

Because they have a monopoly over the cheap flights these airlines should not make the move of biting the hand that feeds them as it were.

jon.

Posted: 14 March 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2008-01-05

None of these airlines are making much profit so they’re hardly ripping you off. At the end of the day they have brought lots of competition to the market for flights making ski breaks much more affordable than they were a few years ago. We use Easyjet a lot and the only time I’ve had a bad experience was when a flight was cancelled. 

Posted: 15 March 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-01-05

I’m with Bob on this. With the exception of Ryanair, I think the low cost airlines are quite well suited to skiing. They certainly don’t have a monopoly on cheap flights - anyone can offer these fares. If you are early/ lucky enough, a full service airline might indeed have just what you’re looking for - especially if you’re not tied to travelling on a Saturday.

JJ

Posted: 09 January 2014 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2014-01-09

Low cost flight and airlines are, in my opinion, not very good for people going to ski especially if you have to bring with you the snowboard or ski. This is an activity that if you don’t live close to the location where you want to ski is better to go together with other friend in a car so you can reduce the cost or if you have to take a flight rent the skies and snowboard where you are going.

Posted: 11 August 2015 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-09-29

Just remember that if you book the wrong thing, most (all?) airlines will allow you to cancel free of charge within 24 hour.s.

Posted: 30 September 2015 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2015-04-15
Antartic - 09 January 2014 10:37 AM

Low cost flight and airlines are, in my opinion, not very good for people going to ski especially if you have to bring with you the snowboard or ski. This is an activity that if you don’t live close to the location where you want to ski is better to go together with other friend in a car so you can reduce the cost or if you have to take a flight rent the skies and snowboard where you are going.

Or then you can fly with Iceland Air, which allows you to take 2 x 23 kg of gargo with you.

Flights WILL go trough Reaykjavik, but you get to take more of everything with you.

With kids GOOD thing is that they allow you to take the carrier with you - There’s NO “limit’s” what kind of, at least in Finnair, so you can easily “hide” something in the carrier, which then is of from the rest of the gargo.

And yes I know (stupid or something), but taking your own safetyseat, you can save around 50 € instead of hiring it from the hiringcompany. AND having all these with you does not cost a single penny.

THa

1 of 2