1 of 2
The WTSS e-newsletter: worth the effort?
Posted: 29 May 2007 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-01-05

Unless you are a regular visitor to wtss.co.uk, you may not be aware that we produce a continual flow of resort news and other ski-business news, published weekly on the site. That’s one of the main reasons we thought it was worth asking site editor Wendy to put together an e-newsletter. The plan is to do it about monthly over the summer, and more often in the autumn. If all goes well, we’ll start including special offers from tour operators and retailers, and other attractions.

The first newsletter is going out in the last few days of May - probably the day after I’ve posted this.

Well - what do you think? Is our newsletter a waste of bandwidth, or something you will look forward to receiving?

We wait with baited breath ...

Posted: 29 May 2007 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-01-05

Well worth the effort (admittedly that’s easy to say if, like me, you haven’t had to make the effort!) and good fun to read.

Particularly enjoyed your piece about lift upgrades (which just proves that we Europeans are not the most sociable bunch!) and Wendy’s summer experience in Saas Fee. I was there myself last September (but for walking not skiing).

JJ

Posted: 30 May 2007 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-05

On the evidence of this first effort I would certainly welcome a monthly e-newsletter. It was interesting, informative and above all, not too long! Perhaps, if I’m being really pernickety, there is a question mark over the presentation, which for me is a little cluttered.

Posted: 30 May 2007 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2008-01-05

Thanks John and Fraser. No doubt the presentation will evolve as we try new ideas - but let us know if you have any suggestions.

Keep the feedback coming…

W

Posted: 05 July 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-01-05

Nice and clean design and good content. Do keep it going. Once every two/three weeks is probably right in terms of frequency. Just too many weekly newsletters with too much to read already!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Posted: 05 July 2007 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-01-05

I enjoy the newsletters as well as the articles. I agree with Xavier, 1x every 2 weeks or so is about right.  Great to see that I’m not the only one thinking about winter and skiing!

Anthony

Posted: 07 July 2007 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2008-01-05

Enjoyed the newsletters. Good clean style and easy to read. I use the arrival of the newsletter to prompt me in to visiting the website (tut, I know but this thing called work keeps getting in the way).

Posted: 16 July 2007 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-05

Really like the newsletter - keep it coming.

Re Chris Gill’s article on lift queuing, unusually I completely disagree with him.  All that military planning and single lft queuing etc. sounds like my idea of hell! It’s precisely because of the european culture and attitude that I prefer skiing in the Alps to North America.  If that means putting up with the occassional frustration (which it does) then I can cope - I’m on holiday after all!

Love your annual book.  I was fortunate to be introduced to it before my first ever skiing holiday and it’s helped me make countless good resort choices since.

Jenny

Posted: 16 July 2007 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-01-05

Although I know what Jenny means, it is not just the frustration of a longer Q than is necessary. Each empty chair or space in a cable car has a financial and an environmental cost. Surely there is no point in expending valuable energy in sending empty chairs to the top of a mountain when there is a Q of people standing at the bottom to watch. Skiing already leaves a big enough footprint!

John

Posted: 11 August 2007 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2008-01-05

Chris’s article on the queuing for chairs was interesting but focused on the French aspect. I’ve skied for many years in the German/Austrian resorts, where I’ve found a curious contradiction; their lift queues for the gondolas are military perfection, yet when you reach the cable car itself the queue dissolves into complete chaos. Is it not beyond the Germanic wit to count 8 people and allow them to board the car, then count another 8 etc etc.

Posted: 01 May 2008 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-01-05

Love the newsletter, great reading about other resorts as well as the one you will be visiting. Also the snow reports are great. Offers for readers would also be good.

Keep up the excellent work guys/gals

Craig

Posted: 19 December 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-12-19

Is there actually a newsletter?  The book advertises one, and there is a general list of things, including the newsletter, on the home page invitation to register, but there is no place specifically to register for it.

Posted: 17 February 2010 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-02-07

I think this is all great stuff. What we have is a Facebook forum but specifically focussed on WSS. Let’s use it. I’m a bit disappointed that we have less than 2K members but let’s make an effort. The things already on here are great and very valuable to folk wanting to travel to different areas. It maybe needs a more specific focus but we are well on the way. I think a separate section on eating and buying food would be good as well as a single site on clothing advice.

Ken

Posted: 18 February 2010 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-07

Wendy

What I meant was that rather than posting crap on facebook we have a site with a focus on chosen sports and that puts us a step above them so we need more members and more enthusiasm. The point I was trying to make was that you have a great site and the newsletter is an integral part of that. I take what you say about people following specific threads but you could expand your topic list (better just check that out). eating could be separate rather than by resort e.g. what to take with you and what’s worth buying out wherever you go. Sorry if my enthusiasm got the better of me.
Ken

Posted: 19 February 2010 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-07

It was just a point that came from experience and also using WSS. It’s good to plan ahead and WSS doesn’t always give the detail needed. e.g. Docs at Winter Park does a plate of stacked nachos. Chicken cheese etc etc. A single portion would feed 4 and it’s at the base of the slope. Also which supermarkets yo use. Some are tourist rip offs and others dirt cheap and good value. This also applies to alcohol. e.g. in Colorado use the liquor stores, they are miles cheaper than the supermarkets. Just an idea, see what folk think

Ken

Posted: 25 April 2010 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-01-05

Hi there

Just started reading forum again. The Newsletter is great and reminds me to log on and catch up with things.

Keep them coming now it is a depressingly long time to next winter!

esrio

1 of 2