Action Outdoors, Adventure Base, Alpine Answers, Alpine Elements, Alpine Weekends, Bigfoot Chamonix, BoardnLodge, Carrier, Chalet la Forêt, Chamonix.uk.com, Club Med, Collineige, Crystal, Crystal Finest, Elegant Resorts, Erna Low, Flexiski, High Mountain, Huski, Independent Ski Links, Inghams, Inspired to Ski, Interactive Resorts, Jeffersons, Lagrange, Luxury Chalet Collection, Marmotte Mountain, Momentum, Mountain Tracks, Mountain Wave, Neilson, Oxford Ski Co, Peak Retreats, Pierre & Vacances, Powder White, PowderBeds, Pure Powder, Rude Chalets, Ski Bespoke, Ski Club Freshtracks, Ski Collection, Ski Expectations, Ski France, Ski Independence, Ski Line, Ski Solutions, Ski Weekend, Skitracer, Skiweekends.com, Snow Finders, STC, Thomson, Tracks European Adventures, White Roc, Zenith
- A lot of very tough terrain, especially off-piste
- Amazing cable car to the Aiguille du Midi, for the famous Vallée Blanche
- Stunning views wherever you are
- Other resorts covered on extended lift pass, notably sunny Courmayeur
- Town steeped in Alpine tradition
- Lots of affordable hotels; an excellent short break destination
- Several separate mountains, widely separated; mixed ability groups are likely to have to split up
- Bad weather can shut the best runs
- Still some old lifts, and queues in key spots
- It’s a busy town, with lots of road traffic; not a relaxing place
- Shady and cold in midwinter
- Few good mountain restaurants
Latest user reviews
JohnSharman 28 Mar 2010
PaulJenner 28 Mar 2010
If you have visited this resort not too long ago, why not add your own short review to this page?
Chamonix could not be more different from the archetypal high-altitude, purpose-built French resort. It hasn’t been designed to deliver the smoothest possible experience to the widest possible market. It hasn’t been designed.
You don’t have to be an expert to enjoy the place – editor Gill once got away with taking his blue-run-skiing wife and novice kids for a week here. But it is the expert and the adventurous would-be expert who really must give Chamonix a permanent place on their shortlist. Be warned, though: there are those who try it and never go home – including lots of Brits.
News – this season 2012/13
The 4-star Mont-Blanc hotel is being refurbished as a 5-star - but its opening has been postponed from December 2012 to spring 2013. A new mountain restaurant, Les Consorts, will open on Balme, we’re assured, and a new nightclub, The White Hub, is opening in the town.
News – last season 2011/12
The Adret restaurant on Flégère was renovated, with new table-service and takeaway areas. And there’s a new Big Air bag for freestyle fun on Brévent.
News – 2010/11
At Flégère, 35 new snow-guns were installed along the Evettes green run link towards Brévent.
The Grands Montets terrain park was redesigned and now suits all levels. A new ARVA avalanche training park opened in the same sector.