Crystal, Inghams, Livigno Snow, Neilson, Skitracer, Thomson
- Reliable snow
- Large choice of beginners’ slopes
- Impressive modern lift system
- Cheap by the standards of high, snow-sure resorts
- Lively, friendly, quite smart village with a good Alpine atmosphere
- Long, snow-sure cross-country trails
- Few tough pistes, and the resort’s ‘itineraries’ are no such thing
- Bleak setting, susceptible to white-outs and lift closures
- Long transfers from some Italian airports (Innsbruck is quicker)
- Village is very long and straggling, with no buses later in the evening
- Nightlife can disappoint
Latest user reviews
Ian Collison 18 Jan 2007
George Gourlay 18 Jul 2006
If you have visited this resort not too long ago, why not add your own short review to this page?
Livigno’s recipe of a fair-sized mountain, high altitude and fairly low prices is uncommon, and obviously attractive, and may be enough to get it on to your shortlist. But don’t overlook the non-trivial drawbacks we list above.
We were excited to find, last season, that the resort had ditched its previous ban on off-piste skiing in favour of six freeride ‘itineraries’ on Mottolino. But we were misled: these are not itineraries in the usual sense – they are not supposed to be skied without guidance. Bizarrely, the ‘itineraries’ are basically a marketing device, designed to drum up business for the mountain guides.
News – 2012/13
Heli-skiing was allowed for the first time – just for two weeks at the end of February. This may well be repeated.
News – 2011/12
A new children’s area, with moving carpet lift, opened at the foot of the Costaccia gondola. New designated freeride zones were introduced on Mottolino, overturning the resort’s previous blanket ban on off-piste skiing. The Cable Park opened near piste 20. The Larice hotel was renovated and upgraded to a four-star.
News – 2010/11
The Livigno Express transfer service now serves Innsbruck airport every Saturday. And opening times for the Munt la Schera tunnel from Switzerland were extended to 24 hours at weekends.