Alpine Answers, Alpine Weekends, Carrier, Crystal, Crystal Finest, Elegant Resorts, Elysian Collection, Flexiski, Independent Ski Links, Inghams, Interactive Resorts, Lagrange, Luxury Chalet Collection, Momentum, Mountain Exposure, Mountain Tracks, Neilson, Oxford Ski Co, Powder Byrne, PowderBeds, Pure Powder, Scott Dunn, Ski Club Freshtracks, Ski Expectations, Ski Independence, Ski Line, Ski Safari, Ski Solutions, Ski Total, Ski-Monterosa, Skitracer, Skiweekends.com, Skiworld, Snow Finders, STC, Supertravel, Switzerland Travel Centre, Thomson, VIP, White Roc, Zenith
- Wonderful, high and extensive slopes in four varied areas
- Spectacular high mountain scenery
- Charming, if rather sprawling, old mountain village, largely traffic-free
- Reliable snow at altitude
- World’s best mountain restaurants
- Nightlife to suit most tastes
- Smart shops
- Linked to sunny Cervinia in Italy
- Extensive helicopter operation
- Main lifts may be a long walk, or a crowded bus or taxi ride from home
- Far from ideal for novices, despite recent efforts to improve matters
- High prices for everything, including lift pass (one of Europe’s priciest)
- Slow train up to Gornergrat
- Some lift queues at peak periods
- Annoying electric taxis in ‘car-free’ streets detract from ambience
- Few options to ski in bad weather; can be really windy or cold too
Latest user reviews
Ed Ferrari 17 Jan 2011
JLK2010 14 Dec 2010
ResortFiler 22 Feb 2008
If you have visited this resort not too long ago, why not add your own short review to this page?
Our verdict is short and simple: you must try Zermatt before you die. There is nowhere else to match it. Its drawbacks are non-trivial but, for us and for virtually all our reporters, these pale into insignificance compared with its attractions. Editor Watts regularly takes his holiday here. Enough said.
News – 2012/13
More snowmaking is planned from Furi to town. Work is due to start on creating a new run back to town from Sunnegga to replace the existing narrow path low down.
News – 2011/12
A new red piste from Grunsee to the mid-station of the Findeln chair opened. A new toboggan run opened at Furi, with special evenings managed by the hotel Silvana. And the Papperla Pub reopened following a refit.
News – 2010/11
The Blauherd restaurant was renovated as a new smart bar-lounge area (Blue Lounge), with a larger terrace. The Sunnegga hut became a self-service to offer more capacity.