Alpine Answers, Club Med, Crystal, Erna Low, Independent Ski Links, Inghams, Interactive Resorts, Lagrange, Neilson, Pierre & Vacances, Powder White, PowderBeds, Rude Chalets, Ski Collection, Ski France, Ski Independence, Ski Total, Skitracer, Skiweekends.com, Thomson, White Roc, Zenith
- Good position on the main Portes du Soleil circuit, giving access to very extensive, quite varied runs
- Very successful design – car-free, with ski-in/ski-out lodgings
- Good children’s facilities
- Local slopes are among the best in the Portes du Soleil and generally have the best snow, but ...
- Low altitudes and exposure to westerlies means some risk of poor snow lower down, and rain
- Architecture doesn’t suit everyone
- Lacks a slick bag delivery system
- Can get very crowded at weekends
- Limited range of restaurants, very limited range of other amenities
- Hardly any hotels
Latest user reviews
garethbeckett 27 Apr 2011
Steveb27 1 Feb 2009
Joanna 14 Apr 2008
If you have visited this resort not too long ago, why not add your own short review to this page?
Of the many purpose-built resorts thrown up in France in the 1960s, Avoriaz is probably the best-designed – genuinely convenient in most respects, completely car-free and visually striking rather than offensive. And it is set in the highest, most snow-sure part of the relatively low (but very extensive) Portes du Soleil ski area. Avoriaz missed out on the new generation of smart apartment developments that have transformed self-catering in many French resorts, but it has now more than caught up, with some fabulous places opening last season and more due to open for 2012/13. Now how about a few more hotels?
News – 2012/13
The Prodains cable car from Morzine is to be replaced by a gondola, opening in February. A new aquatic centre – the Aquariaz – opened in July 2012, with water slides, river rapids, a climbing wall above a plunge pool and lots of tropical plants. The second phase of the luxury 5-star Amara apartments is due to open, as well as the 4-star Atria-Crozats residence.
News – 2011/12
Two buildings opened in the first phase of the new 5-star Pierre & Vacances apartments Amara – with spa, pool, saunas etc – near the top of the resort. And a new ice rink opened near the centre. A pass that lets you ski for any five consecutive hours in a day replaced the half-day pass.
News – 2010/11
The Ardent gondola was revamped and now has a higher capacity. A boardercross course was also built.