Alpine Answers, AmeriCan Ski, American Ski Classics, Crystal, Crystal Finest, Erna Low, Independent Ski Links, Interactive Resorts, Momentum, Ski Independence, Ski Line, Ski Safari, Ski Solutions, Skitracer, Skiworld, Supertravel, Virgin Snow
- Spectacular views of Lake Tahoe and Nevada from slopes
- Fair-sized mountain that offers a sensation of travelling around
- Large areas of widely spaced trees – fabulous in fresh powder
- Some serious challenges for experts
- Numerous other worthwhile resorts within an hour’s drive
- Good snow record plus impressive snowmaking facilities
- Unique nightlife in town at base
- Town at base, South Lake Tahoe, is a messy, traffic-ridden place
- No trail back to Heavenly Village at the base of the gondola
- Lifts vulnerable to wind closure
- Pronounced step from easy groomed blues to mogulled blacks
- If natural snow is poor, most of the challenging terrain may be closed
- Mountain restaurants dire (though new one in 2011 an improvement)
- Very little traditional après-ski
Latest user reviews
There aren't any reviews yet.
If you have visited this resort not too long ago, why not add your own short review to this page?
With a top height of 3060m and vertical of 1060m, Heavenly is the highest and biggest of the resorts around famously deep, pure and beautiful Lake Tahoe. It has the best lake views, too. But anyone drawn by the scenic setting is likely to be dismayed by the barren base town of South Lake Tahoe, straddling busy US Highway 50. You could stay out of town, close to one of the other lift bases.
And the skiing? If your taste is for easy Alpine blacks or tough reds, just be sure you are ready to step up to ungroomed stuff – you’ll find the blues tame.
News – 2011/12
Many of the upper runs on the California side were substantially widened, and three new intermediate trails were built on the Nevada side. A new ski school building for children and a new kids’ adventure zone opened at Adventure Peak. The terrain parks have been revamped and a new half-pipe introduced.
News – 2010/11
The Tamarack Lodge mountain restaurant opened at Adventure Peak, with terrace, food court and bar.