- Wonderful, high, extensive slopes
- Spectacular high mountain scenery
- Charming but rather sprawling old village; car-free (but not traffic-free)
- Reliable snow at altitude
- World’s best mountain restaurants (but not for quick pit stops)
- Nightlife to suit most tastes
- Lots to do off the slopes
- Linked to sunny Cervinia in Italy
- Extensive helicopter operation
- You may face long walks, crowded buses or pricey taxi rides
- Far from ideal for novices
- High prices for everything, including lift pass (one of Europe’s priciest)
- Slow train up to Gornergrat
- Some lift queues at peak periods
- Annoying electric taxis and hotel vehicles detract from ambience
- Few options to ski in bad weather; can be really windy or cold too
Latest user reviews
Ed Ferrari 17 Jan 2011
JLK2010 14 Dec 2010
ResortFiler 22 Feb 2008
If you have visited this resort not too long ago, why not add your own short review to this page?
News – 2016/17
The rickety old gondola from Gant to Blauherd is at last being replaced by a fast six-seat chairlift with over twice the hourly carrying capacity. Not before time (the gondola was built in 1971) but replacement had been delayed because the lift company had hoped to build a new piste to a lift in the Findeln area; but that proved unviable, hence the new chair at Gant. The new lift will give a much quicker ride and cut queues.
News – 2015/16
The Hörnli T-bar to above Schwarzsee was replaced by a new six-seat Hirli chair which starts lower down near the Stafelalp mountain restaurant.
You must try Zermatt before you die. Few places can match its combination of excellent advanced and intermediate slopes, reliable snow, magnificent scenery, Alpine charm and mountain restaurants with superb food and stunning views.
Its drawbacks are non-trivial (see ‘The downside’ on the left). But, for us and for virtually all our reporters, these pale into insignificance compared with its attractions. Editor Watts has taken countless holidays here and is going again in 2017. Enough said._
Blogs, features and news
- Fresh snow in Zermatt
- Where to ski late in the season
- PowdAir to fly from UK regions to Sion
- Music festivals in the mountains this spring
- Early season skiing